All Collections
Payment Center
Tax Data
How to obtain a 1099 Tax Form
How to obtain a 1099 Tax Form

Details about how 1099 tax forms may be distributed.

Updated over a week ago

This article is intended for officials. For officiating organizations, you may see this support article for details about using our software to generate 1099 tax forms.

Horizon does not directly issue tax forms to users and customers of our software. However, we understand many users may receive tax forms related to their activity and memberships within our software.

For officials, here are some details about how you can expect to receive a 1099 tax form related to your officiating work:

Which tax form will I receive?

There are many different types of 1099 tax forms, so we need to be specific about which tax forms you're referring to. Below is a list of commonly issued tax form and who will issue them to you in the most common scenarios:

  • 1099-NEC Tax Form
    These tax forms are often issued to officials by officiating organizations and represent "Non-Employee Compensation." If you've been officiating for some time, this is likely the tax form you're referring to. In many cases, your officiating organization will issue this to you directly if you receive more than $600 in compensation throughout the year.

  • 1099-K Tax Form
    This tax form is issued by financial institutions and reports on "Third-Party Network Transactions" as funds are passed to you electronically. You may be eligible to receive one of these tax forms if you're using the Payment Center to receive electronic payments. If so, you'll receive this directly from Dwolla, Inc. You may see this support article for details on these forms.
    It is important to note that a 1099-K tax form DOES NOT replace your officiating organization's obligation to issue its own tax forms. You may often receive BOTH a 1099-K and a 1099-NEC for the exact same earnings, and a 1099-K tax form would be in addition to any tax form your officiating organization is responsible for issuing.

  • 1099-MISC Tax Form
    This was commonly issued in the past to officials but has largely been replaced by the 1099-NEC tax form after recent guidance from the IRS. If you do receive one of these, it would come from your officiating organization directly.

What do I do with this?

Both the federal and state Form 1099-K are informational returns, and the gross payments reported on a Form 1099-K do not necessarily represent reportable income. The form should be used in conjunction with other tax forms (like W-2's, 1099-MISC, and 1099-NEC forms) and tax records (bank statements, invoices, etc.) to determine your taxable income. You should consult your tax advisor to determine your tax reporting requirements.

Where can I learn more?

If you want to learn more, you can refer to the IRS website, which outlines full details on the 1099-K tax form, as well as the traditional 1099-MISC and 1099-NEC tax forms you will still continue to receive from your officiating organizations.

Did this answer your question?